When you are thinking about putting selling your home, you stage it and fix it up to look its best. But, have you ever said to yourself, “Wow, I wish we would have done all of this when we moved in?” Many people don’t decorate their home and get to enjoy it. This is how buying a home typically goes: you buy your home, but you decorate because you are only going to live in it for five years. Then, five years turns into ten years and you still have an undecorated home. Ten years is a long time to live in an unfinished home. Here at Georgia Windows & Interior in Atlanta, GA we understand that not everyone can afford to move in and redo everything right away. So where do you start.
Start with the Paint. Paint is the most affordable area of design and allows you to quickly put personality into your home. When repainting your new home, follow these simple guidelines:
- Select a neutral color for your hallways.
- Select a coordinating color for all rooms that can be seen from the front door.
- If want you to express yourself, select creative colors for the back of the house.
Every paint manufacturer has a good, better, and best line of paint. Buying the better paint may cost more, but in the long run, it will cut down on your labor. One good coat is a lot less expensive than multiple bad coats.2. Decide on Flooring. A house with many different types of flooring and colors will appear chopped up and busy. Make a decision for the entire house.
- Do you want hardwood, laminate, tile, or carpeting?
- What color and texture do you like?
- When deciding on the type of flooring you would like, never skimp on where you walk, sit, or sleep. Flooring is expensive and if it can’t be done all at once, at least keep the color similar throughout the downstairs area. Hardwood is usually the best way to go because it doesn’t show wear and tear like carpeting. Invest in a large area rug to warm up the room.
Buy New Furniture. The size of your furniture should be in scale with the size of the room. Large sectionals in large rooms and loveseats in smaller rooms.
- The print on the furniture should also be in scale. A large floral print on a small loveseat is not a good match.
- Don’t feel that your wood all has to be the same.
- Blending of woods of your accent furniture is interesting and far more creative than buying a suite of furniture.
Buy Window Treatments. Window treatments add beauty, provide privacy, control light, and offer UV protection for your home furnishings. When selecting your window treatments consider the following questions:
- Do you want the window treatments to recede or advance in the space? Receding window treatments disappear into the walls and advancing window treatments take up space and become a focal point in the room.
- Do you want your window treatments to carry a vertical or horizontal line? Vertical lines add height in a room and horizontal lines tend to be busy in appearance, but can be pulled up and disappear in a space.
- Do the window treatments need to deflect or defuse light? Deflected light is hard to look at and will create shadows. Deflected light would come from plantation shutters and vertical and horizontal blinds. Defused light is much softer. Defused light would come from Roman Shades. Window treatments that will deflect and defuse light are the Hunter Douglas Silhouette® window shades and Hunter Douglas Duette® honeycomb shades.
Accessorizing your home doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. They can be things you already have, such as family pictures, heirlooms or gifts from friends or you can fill in with special items you find on your travel. Don’t wait until you move before making your house a home. Your house should be a reflection of who you are, where you have been, and how you want you and your family to feel every time they walk through the door.
Making your House your Home in Atlanta and Buckhead, GA
One of our greatest assets is our window coverings showroom. Begin your project with a visit to our showroom to see over 50 working product samples and discover the available operating systems, design styles, and fabric opacity options. Our team of certified and well-trained window covering professionals will show you various window coverings that fit your criteria. Then we will bring the samples to your home to assist you with your final selection, measure for proper fit, and present you with a quote.
Georgia Blinds & Interiors services metro Atlanta areas including Fulton, DeKalb, and Cobb counties, including Atlanta, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, Midtown, Dunwoody, Marietta, Decatur, and surrounding areas.
Call to schedule a personalized consultation in our showroom today!